Sunday, October 20, 2013

Washing Little Hands

After noticing Aria's fascination with the bathroom and becoming frustrated myself with Lachie's refusal to use a nail brush, I came up with this Montessori inspired practical living activity. The children each have a tray complete with a tub of warm water, a face washer, a nail brush, mirror, and a towel. Lachie has a container of foaming hand soap but I squirt Aria's into the tub as she tends to paint the house with it. This is the first day I had the mirrors, I picked them up for $1.50 at a new discount store. Not only is the warm water calming but it encourages self care and I don't have to hold Lachie down to scrub his nails. It turns something that is difficult due to sensory issues into a fun game. The children are responsible for drying any drips off the tray. This activity meets with the basic Montessori principle of controlling for error.


Both children loved the mirrors

 Lachie sat back for a while and contemplated the activity while looking in the mirror
 Aria used materials to clean the mirror too

1 comment:

  1. I have posted a link to this post here: http://livingmontessorinow.com/2013/11/04/montessori-monday-infant-education-montessori-home-tools/

    There are many other great Montessori inspired activities there.

    ReplyDelete